Today will be Different.
Today will be Different.
A city as unique as its Officers.
With Norfolk’s vibrant downtown, beaches, parks, trails, as well as being the home to the worlds largest naval base. Officers of Norfolk PD have the unique opportunity to grow their career while living in a city that is just as unique.
You Belong Here
Start Advancing Your Career
There are many different jobs in the Norfolk Police Department. There are specialized positions, like Special Operations Team (SOT), Traffic/Motorcycle Unit, Harbor Patrol/Divers, Beach Officers, Detectives, Vice & Narcotics Investigators, Public Information Officers, K-9 Units, and Bike Officers to name a few. Most of these require specialized training which we provide.
Salary & Benefits
To learn more about the job requirements and benefits. Click the "Join Today" button at the top of the page.
- While serving as a Police Recruit in the Norfolk Police Department, recruits make $43,260.
- Police Officer starting salary upon successful completion of the academy – $52,105.
- At present, the maximum base salary that may be earned as a police officer is $79,002. Police officers receive a yearly step increase in pay.
- $5,000 sign on bonus upon successful completion of the police academy.
- $12,000 retention bonus is awarded upon successful completion of one year as a police officer.
- Competitive salary.
- Supplemental pay for college degrees, Master Police Officer, Police Training Officer, Specialty Unit & Investigator pay.
- Tuition assistance/reimbursement.
- Military veterans can utilize their GI Bill to attend the police academy through the on-the-job training/apprenticeship category.
The City of Norfolk utilizes the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) for city employees. Click here for additional information on the Virginia Retirement System.
Norfolk Police officers assigned to patrol will work an average of 16 days a month consisting of 12-hour rotating shifts between day and night shift with every other Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.
The City of Norfolk provides excellent health, dental, and vision plans that are available for police officers and their eligible family members. The City of Norfolk contributes to all plans.
Norfolk Police Officers receive 96 hours of Annual Leave, 96 hours of Sick Leave, 1 day of Birthday Leave, 1 day of Diversity Leave, holiday pay and leave: 13 holidays per year. 2 Wellness Days of leave.
Active duty / Reserve duty personnel receive 15 days of Military Leave per year.